market-farming - [Market-farming] Woodashes & sorrel

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <miranda AT tagoresmith.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Woodashes & sorrel
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 16:35:12 -0400

Hi,

You have to watch the saline content of your soil if you use a lot of
wood ash, but as long as you keep testing for soluble salts and cut back
on the wood ash when you see salts beginning to accumulate, you should
be fine. If you're looking for a quick source of soluble K that can be
spot-applied, try mulching with a green chop of alfalfa or comfrey
leaves. Potassium leaches out of both plants almost immediately and is
available enough so that you can literally see the results in a week or
so.

I used to manage sorrel the way that some manage asparagus: I divided my
bed into "spring" and "fall" cutting areas so that I could have two
crops a year without unduly stressing the plants. I left the fall
cutting section uncut in the spring, but cut it in mid to later summer
to get tender greens in the fall. It formed flower stalks before it was
time to cut it back, so I had to cut them off to prevent it from turning
the whole garden into a sorrel patch--its seeming goal in life.

Miranda Smith

  • [Market-farming] Woodashes & sorrel, miranda, 05/19/2004