market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Sorrel

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Alex McGregor" <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Sorrel
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 09:11:02 -0400

No, you haven't screwed up. Sorrel does that- goes to seed early the
second and following years. To market it as a salad green, you have to
have an early market- usually before farmers markets open. This is stores
and restaurants for me. Also, there's one chef that buys the large, tough
leaves and wraps fish in them before baking.

You can cut the plants back and get some new, tender leaves- remember that
this weakens the plant if done too much. But I've found sorrel to be able
to stand all kinds of things.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm