market-farming - [Market-farming] RE: Veggie basket/container: Pat

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "mtlivestock" <crublee AT libby.org>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] RE: Veggie basket/container: Pat
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 10:58:40 -0600

Pat:

Thank you for the book idea. I get Nichol's catalogs, but I completely
forgot about this book. I think I will send a copy to my mother.

I think I should explain why I am interested in hanging baskets. These tend
to be lighter and easier to move. Baskets tend to hang high enough to be
out of reach of children, pets, and livestock. (Brought on by my personal
grudge! I have an on-going war with hens/cattle/horses/hogs eating or
killing my plants. A steer hate my tomato plants last fall, just as they
were about to ripen! grrrr)

I think most containers will still force my mother to bend. Sitting while
working is not an option for her. Sitting is much, much more painful than
standing for her. Another reason baskets seemed a better solution. I
thought she could hang them lower than norm to easy reach.

After working in my hoophouse for several hours, I think I will check out
your rolling seat idea! I was diagnosed with arthritis at 19 years old! I
get it in all my joints. I have had it in the joints of my chest/sternum
too (very painful). I do understand and hope you can find relief. I hope
your surgery is a complete success.

Thanks for the used book link. What farmer doesn't buy used books? :-) I
am also a bookaholic, so I have loads of farming/gardening books too. If
anyone on the list is considering buying a book, I think it would be great
to ask the list about the book first. I have bought a book or two that I
wished I could have had a first-hand, trusted opinion on before plunking
down my $$.

Thanks to EVERYONE answering my question. I am printing lists and planting
directions for my mom. I planned to buy some plants online at a nearby
nursery for her to pick up, but they no longer sell plants online. I will
send her the lists, instructions, baskets, and a check. Late for Mother's
Day, but it should arrive for planting time in her area!

Christina

  • [Market-farming] RE: Veggie basket/container: Pat, mtlivestock, 05/08/2004