market-farming - [Market-farming] RE: corral panel hoophouses/greenhouse; blueberries; peas/veggie basket

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "mtlivestock" <crublee AT libby.org>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] RE: corral panel hoophouses/greenhouse; blueberries; peas/veggie basket
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 17:28:55 -0600

Thank you for the helpful advice on the our hoophouse project. I like the
idea of the corral panels on the side. I will post our final project when
we are done. Fencing comes first!

I want to thank the folks for the blueberry thread. I too am interested in
blueberries, but I am concerned our planting area is too exposed to wind for
good yields. The drying effect may require more water than we are willing
to use. Water conservation is a big concern for us as we believe this is
the biggest (and often most ignored) farming issue now and in the immediate
future. I am still watching these blueberry posts with interest, so please
continue.

I have some questions:

Has anyone or does anyone ever try peas in hanging baskets? Not market
amounts, but enough for a family? What about hanging baskets of various
vegetable plants? My mother has a back problem and is not able to bend and
hoe. I want to come up with a few basket ideas for her. She has baskets of
flowering plants about her place, but she seems bored with these and wants
fresh vegetables! (I live 2500 miles away or I would keep her kitchen
full!) I have come up with a few designs, but I know this list has more
experienced folks that could give me a few new suggestions!

I also wonder if these "Vegetable Baskets" with a few edible flowers thrown
in, would make a nice sales item? The population is aging but also
extremely health conscious. Is anyone doing this? Are sales good or ?

I am thinking of putting a few of these together to market locally. What do
you think?

Christina
Libby Creek Heritage Farm