market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] "Producer's Only" vs non-"Producer's Only" M arkets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] "Producer's Only" vs non-"Producer's Only" M arkets
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 08:16:28 -0500

Matt,
We (a group of farmers) have spent the last 10 months putting together a
producer-only farmers' market in our area. There was an existing farmers'
market that allows re-selling. The problem has been (we have been a member
of that market for 14 years) that if you allow ANY re-selling, it is almost
impossible to control it. The rule was that a member must grow "most" of
what they sold. First, how do you quantify "most", and when the re-sellers
control all the offices and the board, guess how much that is enforced!
Each year, more and more "farmers" brought more and more "stuff" that they
obviously didn't produce. It snowballed. Because two big re-sellers took
up about 1/3 of the space at the market (one setting up over 70 feet!), the
smaller members felt they had to re-sell to compete. Then, when they found
out that buying at the wholesaler on Friday was much easier than harvesting
all day, they bought more. We had one that was selling plants last spring
that still had Home Depot tags on the pot - but she was the president of the
organization.

So, it was time for a change. We decided to make it producer only, and to
require the member to fill out an application listing all products he/she
intended to bring. We followed up with an inspection of the farm/business
(we allow bakers, crafters, etc.). We reserve the right to re-inspect the
farm if we suspect cheating. The first offense, they are out for a calendar
year, the next offense, for life.

We ran an effective ad campaign using some state grant money and as much
free publicity as we could beg. We were a little scared - it's our living
after all. But, the first day, we had 10 vendors (and on April 17th, in
Kentucky, that's a LOT). We had the largest sales day we have EVER had at a
farmers' market. Last week, we were up to 13 vendors, including 2 bakers.
We have 25 members on the rolls, and are still sending out applications.
Successful? You bet! And, from windshield surveys, we are getting several
times the traffic of the older market. It took a lot of work, many many
meetings during the winter, but well worth it.

A farmer, who is growing,harvesting,packing what he can, can not compete
with a re-seller that just drives to the wholesaler and purchase whatever he
wants. If something new sells well, the farmer must wait weeks/months/a
season to have that item in his inventory - a re-seller just has to drive
and buy it. An innovative farmer that has produce early or late because of
initiative and hard work, gets no reward - the re-seller can have tomatoes
any time. The customer who is trying to eat fresh and locally, and support
the rural economy, is cheated.

As far as having more variety at a re-sellers allowed market - people can go
to the grocery for that - and will when educated. I think our market will
continue to grow - because we are taking care of the farmer, and the
consumer, and most of them appreciate it.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm