market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] "Producer's Only" vs non-"Producer's Only" Markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: jim_manning AT mindspring.com
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] "Producer's Only" vs non-"Producer's Only" Markets
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 01:13:26 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

We're just launching year one of our market so we can't claim experience with
our approach, but I do have experience selling at a market with no controls
on non-producers and it's not the way to go.

Our new market will be "producer-only plus...". In other words, you have to
be a producer, but... you can carry a limited amount of stuff that you do not
grow yourself. If you do carry other stuff, it has to be grown in New York
state. The fact is, no one around here grows peaches but they do a hundred
miles away and I want them at our market - in season.

Most importantly, we state at the top of our market rules the goals of the
market which are:

1. To support local farmers
2. To give the local community greater access to great local food
3. To support nearby businesses by drawing in shoppers to the location

If a vendor's approach does not support these goals - and a vendor whose
approach is mostly about picking up out-of-season produce at the wholesale
market on the way to our market would not - our organizing committee has the
right to reject them.

Ask us in October and we'll tell you how it worked. If you'd like a copy of
our rules let me know.

Jim
Ferris Farm - upstate New York