market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Buying locally ~

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mark A Abner <wizard1 AT kih.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Buying locally ~
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 11:59:55 -0400

Toni
We are more limited in choices here in hills on KY but that dont make it
imposible. A big part of the reason we are limited is the influx of WalMart
chokeing off the small operators. there used to be general stores all over
eastern KY that carried jsut about anyting your could want. Now you will look
long and far for a good general store.
A lot ot stuff just takes planning and a little pateince make a few trips
a year to a large town like Lexington and buy things in bulk that arnt
avaialbe localy do a lot of catalog and internet shopping and produce as much
of your own food as you can. Now you may have had a longer growing season in
CA but we have from early april till october here and most vegitables can be
grown in 60 to 110 days so that really isnt a limit with cold frams or a
small green house you can have fresh greens all year long
My reasons for not doing walmart are some what different than most I to
oppose thier oppresive marketing practices and a lot of us could compete it
we didnt have to pay for the proucts we sold until 90 days after we sell them
as is the case with most of what walmart sells. My main beef with walmart is
spiritual. We spen a year and a half trying to prevent them from destroying a
burial ground on charlotte pike in nashville but the destroyed it anyway and
it could easily ahve been saved as green space on the 17 acre site as none of
the actual buildings were to be located on the area that had the burials.
After they let the archiologist dig and plunder for a few weeks they
descided it was takeing to long and rolled asphault over open graves with
bones exposed and scattered about like so many scraps.The Amereican Indian
Movement called a permantat boycott of walmart and I will never enter the
doors of one again any entity that will abuse the deat as well as the liveing
is not to be delt with on any level for me. But each person must make thier
own choices

Mark A Abner
BriarPatch Farms and Fiber