market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] RE: Market-farming ,Root Nematodes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] RE: Market-farming ,Root Nematodes
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 06:26:21 -0500

On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 12:10:10AM +0100, Barry Jackson wrote:

> Did you have a closed canopy?

Thanks, Barry, for a wonderfully informative post!

We do fairly well with red potatoes grown in our area's "right" season.
They are planted in February and our median last frost date is mid
March, so many times the tops get frozen back. I have never tried to
achieve "closed canopy" and now I think maybe I should work that
direction, presuming "closed canopy" means from row to row as well as
within rows. I use 5' rows; all my equipment is set up for 5'. I end
up with about 2' of bare soil between rows as the plants reach maturity.
I am now reflecting on how to achieve full canopy with 5' rows or how
to use my equipment with closer rows. No solutions come to mind.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html