market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Farmers Market Display Ideas

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: rjweeks70 AT comcast.net
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Farmers Market Display Ideas
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:59:41 +0000

Something to keep in mind is the length of time required to set up your
tiered display, and the WEIGHT. I see some vendors with heavy plywood
constructions that require two people to set up on the table. To me, that's
impractical and inflexible.

We have the same setup as you, with the addition of waterproof vinyl
tablecloths we made from checkered material at the fabric store. Check out
your local fabric store to find nice tablecloths for cheap.

When we have more produce starting in the late spring, we use a row of square
milk crates turned upside down, covered with a long tablecloth that matches
our other cloths. It gives us a tier that's about 18" tall, so you can still
stand behind it. Since the milk crates are square, we can put up the number
of crates we need to accomodate the produce for that week. Sometimes we only
need 2-3, sometimes we have two 6' tables all tiered. That's about 10 milk
crates.

For loading and unloading, the crates are great stackable storage in the
truck to hold all of our supplies for the market booth. We also use them to
transport our bottles of preserves that we sell.

Anyway, it works for us.

Roger Weeks
Weeks Gardens
http://www.weeksgardens.com