market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Shade cloth for greenhouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <wiediger AT msn.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Shade cloth for greenhouse
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 21:56:29 -0500

We have used shade cloth over poly to successfully grow mesclun in our high tunnels during the summer.  50% black shade cloth.  We were lucky to be able to borrow it.  The owner of it had purchased it from Atlas Greenhouse.  Because it was a little wider than we wanted it, we rolled it up so that it started about 4 to 5 feet above the ground.  It worked really well.  To figure the width you need, just subtract about 8-10 feet from the width of the poly you us to go over the frame.  Usually shade cloth doesn't go all the way to the ground to allow uninhibited air flow through roll-up sides.  AM Leonard would also be another good source for shade cloth.  Or you might check with Berry Hill Irrigation.  If they don't carry it, they might be able to tell you who does who is closer to you.  And yes, I'd pull it down closer on the south side.  Our high tunnels are aligned with the long axis running East West, and I noticed that where the shade started due to early morning sun is where the best growth occurred on the east side.

Sorry for not answering on the high tunnel list serve.  We just assumed others would, so we didn't.

paul
Paul and Alison Wiediger
Au Naturel Farm
http://aunaturelfarm.homestead.com