market-farming - [Market-farming] Shade cloth for greenhouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: pam AT twinoaks.org
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Shade cloth for greenhouse
  • Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 19:55:04 -0400

I asked this question on the new High Tunnels list,
but got only one reply, so I'm trying here too. I want
to get shade fabric to put over our new gothic arch
greenhouse/hoophouse. I have several questions:
What fabric? Polypropylene? Polyethylene?
Avoid PVC, right, because it deteriorates the poly
sheeting?
Knitted or woven?
Black or white?
50% shade? 55%?
The greenhouse is 30' x 96'. Would a 20' wide
piece give enough shade? I've been advised that I
could pull it nearer the ground on the south side than
on the north.
Any recommended suppliers?
I'm in zone 7 in central Virginia and have
planted tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and zucchini
now, and want to grow watermelons, cantaloupes,
winter squash, peanuts and jicama for the summer.
Anyone got any tips from their experience?
Thanks, Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks, Louisa, Virginia