market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Beer & Nicotiana

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: rjweeks70 AT comcast.net
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Beer & Nicotiana
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 00:44:49 +0000

This is why I don't drink "conventional" beer - by which I mean practically
anything that has national distribution. Most of the crap in cans is just
that - crap. Same goes for bottled stuff. Not to mention that something
like 90% of "conventional" beer is Americanized pilsner, which is the most
flavorless, unsatisfying fermented drink I can think of. Give me an ale,
porter, stout or lager any day!

There are so many local breweries now in almost every good sized city, making
quality beers from simple ingredients and old recipes, that there's no excuse
to drink the major label beers. Besides supporting your local economy,
you'll be drinking a much better (and fresher) beer.

Some good examples from Northern California:
Anchor Steam - http://www.anchorbrewing.com
Sierra Nevada - http://www.sierra-nevada.com
Lagunitas - http://www.lagunitas.com
Russian River - http://www.russianriverbrewing.com

Incidentally, there are three excellent non-smoking reasons to grow any of
the Nicotiana family: they have lovely flowers that are amazingly perfumed,
especially in the summer evenings. Secondly, the leaves are seriously
sticky. They are a death trap for all sorts of pesky leaf-crawling bugs.
Interplant Nicotiana with any plants that tend to get aphids - the aphids
will flock to the tobacco and get stuck there. Lastly, if you cut the leaves
up and till them into the ground, they have a parthenogenic effect on
ground-crawling bugs.

Roger Weeks
Sebastopol CA
http://www.weeksgardens.com

> Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 11:50:38 -0500
> From: Robert Farr - The Chile Man <rbfarr AT erols.com>
> Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tobacco
> To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
>
> Both "conventional" tobacco and "conventional" beer have as many as 200
> ingredients, including stabilizers, coloring agents, fillers, etc.
>
> Real beer has four ingredients; real tobacco, but one.
>
> I heard a program by a Native American shaman nearly 20 years ago on
> this subject. He said what Wendy just said, that it isn't the tobacco
> that is a killer, it's all the other things in store-bought products.
>
> Of course, most Native Americans didn't smoke 2 or 3 packs/day...
>
> --
> Robert Farr
> The Chile Man
> (540) 668-7160

  • [Market-farming] Re: Beer & Nicotiana, rjweeks70, 03/23/2004