market-farming - [Market-farming] organic tobacco

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] organic tobacco
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 08:00:17 -0600

There are always several farmers growing organic tobacco here in Kentucky.
We grew the Sherazi last year just for the fun of it - and I'm sure will
have seedlings where it was. It sure wasn't Burley! Being from Kentucky,
the smell of Burley curing in the barns in the fall is a wonderful smell -
even though I wouldn't grow the stuff for the world anymore! And, I still
think it is a gorgeous crop in the field - especially when it's that golden
color just before cutting. It's a shame something so beautiful is so deadly!
So, Marie, if you can get some seed, it's a snap to grow it. As long as
you're just growing it for fun, you don't have to worry about topping and
suckering - just watch it bloom and enjoy! Growing for market organically
takes a lot of labor - even more than conventional tobacco - because you
don't have the chemicals for suckering. Try some! It's still a beautiful
plant!

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm

  • [Market-farming] organic tobacco, Wiediger, Alison, 03/23/2004