market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: $41k flowers, herbs, berries

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Steve Sando" <steve AT mrlucky.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: $41k flowers, herbs, berries
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:24:16 -0800

> I would also mention that while other farmers have had success with direct
sales to restaurants, we have found that the amount of orders from local
"white >tablecloth" restaurants is too small to bother with. The problem
with restaurant sales is that they expect to pay wholesale prices like what
they get from a >distributor, even if the restaurant wants to feature local
produce. The prices that these places pay for wholesale produce are not
compatible with a small organic >operation where we can charge a premium for
our produce because it's unique and organic.

When I went a-calling on the restaurants, I found it very frustrating. But
there are certain markets where the chefs go and I've found price is no
object. I know in the Bay Area, Thursday in San Rafael is when the chefs go
(avoiding the crowds on Sunday) and in Napa on Tuesdays, you see LOTS of
chefs, local and famous. I think I've told my tales about Michael Chiarello.
Friday in St Helena is killer- you get local chefs and all the students from
the CIA (culinary Institute) who tour the market as part of the curriculum.
You can really get a feel for who are the great chefs and who are the
posers.

Do you have luck with the Sonoma markets? I tried but it just never kicked
in for me, even the wildly popular Tuesday night market. Nice people but I
wasn't a good fit. And it seemed zero support from the restaurants.

Steve

Steve Sando
www.ranchogordo.com
New World Specialty Food