market-farming - [Market-farming] Goldenseal & Ginseng

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Paul Bock" <bockpa AT plesh.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Goldenseal & Ginseng
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 10:30:35 -0500

I have gotten seeds and roots from Catskill Ginseng,
www.catskillginseng.com. Do you realize that you need to plant ginseng seed
in the fall, not the spring, right? However this spring/summer will be a
good time to start developing the soil beds that you will be planting into.
The prefered environment for ginseng is under the canopy of mature maple
trees. The leaf fall from maple trees creates a high calcium topsoil which
is beneficial to the ginseng. Also mature maple trees (over 15" in
diameter) tend to have a process called hydraulic-lift. Where in the hot
summer times, the deep tap root can pull 50-100 gallons of water up from
very deep sources up into the surrounding top soil. This is also beneficial
to ginseng.
As a general rule of thumb, the less you do with ginseng the better it
grows, fertilization only weakens the plant to later succumb to diseases.
If you plant it too dense you are only encouraging disease to spread easily.
Wild-simulated and Woods Cultivated produce better ginseng than field-grown
under shade cloth. The first two produce a root that is smaller and
wrinkled. The latter produces a larger smooth root like a carrot. Also, I
don't know how well the growing-in-pots thing will work since the root grows
horizontally, not vertically. The thing about not being able to grow
ginseng in an area where it has been harvested, mostly applies to field
grown. This is because there is so much disease attacking the mature plants
that it is almost impossible to start new seedlings in such a hostile
environment.