market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Greenhouse benching

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Greenhouse benching
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 13:18:04 -0500

I have built so far 150 benches each is 4 ft wide x 8 ft long. All are made from untreated 2x3 fur lumber. There are four runs of 8 footers with a 4 ft piece on each end. I pre drill holes before nailing with 10d galvanized nails. All new benches will be fastened with long epoxy treated screws. The top is covered with 1x2 14 gauge fence wire. My benches are up to 10 years old and look good as new because they are always under plastic. I use cement blocks for legs. I weigh 150 pounds and can casually walk on top of the benches without worry.
A very cheap alternative to fence wire is galvanised plaster lath , it comes in sheets 2ftx8ft and lasts forever....Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

OakCamp2 AT aol.com wrote:

 Hi Everyone, I would like to maximize our use of the greenhouse by installing benches (right now we have pallets laid on the floor).  Can anyone give me the benefit of their experience?  I have read about everything from home built versions, purchased bench tops with home built bases(usually cinder blocks), stationary benches, and rolling benches.  What is your experience with any of these?   Which seems the most economical, either by space utilization or price?  I really value all the opinions and advice I read on this list. Thanks for your input!Barb BirkinbineOak Camp Herb Farm, LLCLodi, Wi