market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Broccollini

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Dcimmarr AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Broccollini
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:38:02 EST

I am not toatally sure but I think the way the seed deal works is: The person(company, etc) that comes up with a new seed (plant, etc. ) patents it and then has the rights to that seed for a specified number of years. During that time, seed is not readily available except to selected growers...in order to make a profit return on the expense it took to get the final seed. I believe that time frame is ten years, but dont quote me on that. Before that time, I doubt you would find seed commercially available.
Denise