market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Red Mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roger Weeks <roger69 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Red Mulch
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 11:03:11 -0800 (PST)

I used the red mulch last year on my Brandywine tomatoes and was very
happy with the results. Being a small operation I really didn't have
room to test red mulch vs. anything else.

However, the tomatoes did come in strong despite a cool wet spring, and
kept producing well into October (I'm in northern California). The
Brandywines won a grand prize for best tasting at one of my farmer's
markets. How much of that was due to the red plastic I have no idea.

This year I'm trying the red mulch with strawberries and peppers.
Another organic grower did the red mulch with his strawberries last
year and was really pleased with the production.

The biggest reason to use plastic mulch for me, red or not, is to keep
weeds down. Especially with strawberries, this is really important.

I know that there are lots of people concerned with the fact that the
plastics are a chemical product, and that we're creating more landfill
when it gets thrown away - I personally recycle all of my plastic
mulches, as our county recycling program takes just about any plastic
product.

Roger Weeks
Weeks Gardens - http://www.weeksgardens.com
Sebastopol CA