market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tomatillos and a 'worm'

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ken Bezilla" <kenbez AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tomatillos and a 'worm'
  • Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 22:10:33 +0000

We've had the tomatillo worm here in south central Missouri. Haven't ever figured out what it is. Don't think it's a corn earworm -- if I remember right (I've hardly ever seen anything), the worms I've seen were small and dark, slimy green.

Here we plant out big tomatillos under reemay 4/15, and take off the reemay 5/15. Usually we get some good tomatillo harvests until August, when that worm shows up and suddenly we never get another fruit -- whatever it is crawls in the fruit and leaves only empty paper husks behind. I tried bT a few times but didn't have any luck -- maybe the application wasn't thorough enough? But it's hard to spray bT on such massive plants, esp with whatever insect is chomping on them hidden inside the paper husks, and there's so much else to do in August that it hasn't been a research priority...

Ken Bezilla
East Wind
southern Missouri, zone 6b

Check out the coupons and bargains on MSN Offers! http://shopping.msn.com/softcontent/softcontent.aspx?scmId=1418