market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Reality testing: Building Permits

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Chris O'Byrne" <cobyrne AT myclearwave.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Reality testing: Building Permits
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 20:59:43 -0600

Dave,

I really enjoyed going through your website. Like you, I was very impressed with Salatin's techniques and ate his books right up. There is an organization down this way called The Land Stewardship project and I am thinking about taking their Farm Beginnings classes.

I have a question for you about pastured poultry pens. I will be just starting out this year and I would like to get started on a very small scale. I was thinking about just a couple of cows (on about 6 acres of rotated pasture) and 50 or so chickens along with some free range layers to help out with the horse pastures. Anyway, about the pens. Have you experimented with those pens? Have you tried going with smaller pens or a different way of moving them or anything other than what he talked about?

Thanks,
Chris

--
Prairie Song Eco-Farm