market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: Tractors

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Art Petrzelka <art AT complum.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: Tractors
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:08:31 -0000

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 22:04, Chris O'Byrne wrote:
> What a coincidence, my "new" tractor just came today! My cousin moved
> town and sold me his 1950's International Farmhand 460 for $3000. It's
> in great shape with an 8 ft. bucket, live PTO, power steering, and the
> works. I'm excited!

My only complaint about the 460 is that the transmission fluid and
hydraulic fluid share a reservoir. I tend to get water in there that
freezes up the hydraulics in the winter. I try to change the fluid in
the fall before it gets too cold. I still can't use it to plow snow.

The rear tires don't have much traction with all the weight in the
front, so I've gotten stuck going uphill in reverse once or twice. :-)

On the good side, I've hauled dirt in the cob bucket despite creaks and
groans and it still keeps on going.

My Farmall 400 is still my "power tractor".
--
Art Petrzelka
Amana, Iowa, USA