market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Fw: studies on transplant size, winstrip trays

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Alex Mcgregor" <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Fw: studies on transplant size, winstrip trays
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:30:48 -0500

Yo, Liz!

Thanks for the link to the U of FL study. I'm glad someone in the ag world
has finally started applying some basic Plant Physiology. Seems to be a
trend in ag these days- using biology and biochemistry instead of chemistry
and economics to design ag systems.

I learned years ago from Dr. Ivan Smith (a plant physiologist) at Ohio U
that it was detrimental to fruit production to stress plants in cells or
pots. The stress reduces potential root and top growth while stimulating
reproduction (fruiting). Sure the plants catch up, but production and
quality are lessened. He suggested potting up if plants couldn't be
transplanted out when peak root growth was reached.

I guess I was luckier than most- I was educated by the interdisciplinary
program of a plant physiologist and a soil scientist/ organic farmer- a
model that I wish ag schools would adopt. But then there's the reality of
funding... DON'T GET ME STARTED!!!

With all this talk about nude salad spinning and safe sex, I figure it's
time to get outside and do something before these discussions turn to
conspiracy theories. (Yes Elvis is alive and posing as Britney Spears!)
I'm heading out to split some firewood before I start (???) losing it.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm