market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Most durable row cover

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Petersons <petersns AT whidbey.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Most durable row cover
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 06:20:29 -0800

We've used tufbel (sp?) and agryl for many years. The agryl tears if a deer or coyote runs across, so we try each year to invest in another roll of the tuffbell. So far the the tufbel has disintegrated only when the dog chewed it up looking for the fish fertilizer underneath, and when the chickens came back to a spot they were used to scratching in, found row cover and continued to scratch til they got to soil.

I dislike throwing out the more tender row covers each year, knowing there is no away to throw things to, and that it is in a land fill somewhere. Storing the tufbel is a bit of a problem but one I can live with. Last year we carefully placed the black plastic grommets on most of a roll and used earth staples to hold it down. We'll see if it degrades sooner with the holes. I get tufbel from Peaceful Valley.
Molly on Whidbey Island, WA

tuffbel is also very tuff and will not heat plant but it is pricey at something like $179 for a 110' roll. Organic Valley is the only distributor of tufbel that I know of. I bought a roll 4 years ago and it is just now starting to go bad. But at 5 times the price of heavy weight row cover i don't know if it is worth the expense.