market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Greenhouse heat

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roger Weeks <roger69 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Greenhouse heat
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 10:47:40 -0800 (PST)

Thanks all for the suggestions.
I like the thermostat-controlled propane heaters.

My prime consideration is this: I only want the greenhouse kept at 50
degrees or so at night. During the day, even on most rainy days here
in Northern California, heat is not needed to keep the temp above 50.
So what I definitely need is a thermostat-controlled heater with
electric ignition that I can set and let it be "hands off".

California has really strict air quality laws. Regardless that I'm
agricultural and probably exempted from many laws regarding wood or
other burning, I don't feel good about anything that puts smoke in the
air, and uses wood for heating. Some of the wood burning stoves aren't
even legal here unless they have catalytic converters.

Granted, both fossil fuels and wood are both limited natural resources,
but propane in particular is much cleaner burning than any wood stove.

Roger