market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Greenhouse heat

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Paul A. Bock" <bockpa AT plesh.com>
  • To: <roger69 AT yahoo.com>, "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Greenhouse heat
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 15:26:20 -0500

Maybe you could find an old furnace that has a rusted out heat exchanger.
The carbon dioxide vented into the greenhouse space would be good for the
plants too. Another idea would be the burner arrangement in a gas dryer,
those are automatic ignition and they vent their exhaust right into the
clothes dryer drum.

This would be cheap and require some rigging. Probably the best and safest
bet for a greenhouse that small would be one of those wall-mountable natural
gas/propane powered space heaters. I'm not talking about the ones that
screw onto a small tank of propane. These are for space heating one room,
they vent directly into the room, and I think some of them have devices
built right in to detect if carbon monoxide is starting to develop. They
have a thermostat right in them.

This is one heck of a link, but this is a list of "direct-vent wall heaters"
from home depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_
META&CNTKEY=storehome%2fpg_storehome.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1026106398.1072122
166@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdhadckfefddlgcgelceffdfgidgjl.0&MID=9876&pos=t06