market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] LLC

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Heininger" <cheesechef AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] LLC
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 17:51:11 -0700

We are a very small goat cheese dairy in Northern AZ and have just finalized
our business structure as a full "C" Corporation. We looked into LLC's "S"
Corps and every other entity devised by man and lawyer and the "C" corp fit
our needs the best. The para legal who did the leg work though we were
nuts. "Do you know that RUBBERMAID is an LLC? Why do you want to be a full
"C" corporation?"

The answer was health care costs. As we grow older and look ahead to
increased medical bills, and as medical insurance premiums keep going
through the roof, we decided that the added minor up-front expense and
additional annual book keeping costs for the "C" corp were worth it. "C"
corps are the only entity for our situation that will allow for 100%
deducting/expensing-off (whatever you want to call it) of our medical costs.
There is, of course, the added benefit of being able to structure the
corporate business to provide for some degree of liability protection for
our personal assets as well. The "double taxation" issue, while in
principle, serious and annoying, is not too bad in our case as we plan on
remaining small and expect not to have tremendous corporate gains (profits)
to be taxed on at that level.

David
Black Mesa Ranch
Artisan Goat Cheese Dairy and Fine Candy Kitchen
Northern Arizona, USA
www.BlackMesaRanchOnline.com

Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 11:54:13 -0600
From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>

....Thanks for replying. I didn't realize LLC was company instead of
corporation. <snip> I understand it's better than a corporation and better
than sole proprietorship. <snip>
Marie