market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Retreated seed

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Retreated seed
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 07:22:27 -0500

how important is it that the seeds be grown organically; what portion of our organic practice is the actual seed?

DR Jerzy Nowak of Virginia Tech spoke at the Mid-Atlantic Biodynamic Food and Farming Conference in Leesburg, VA last month on the bacterial activity in plant tissues. He said that a healthy seed carries within its tissues the bacteria necessary for innoculating the soil that it will germinate in. The research on this discovery is just beginning. It just stands to reason that seeds that are grown in sterilized ground are not going to carry as much beneficial bacteria as seeds that are grown in living soil. This information made me realize for the first time how very important for my productivity it is that I start growing and saving my own seed. -Allan