market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] laying hens - HELP

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Robin Follette" <csa AT thymeforewe.org>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] laying hens - HELP
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 22:12:30 -0500

Do you have lights on in the hen house to make up for lack of sunlight
during these short days? If not, turning a light on to give them 14 hours
of light a day should get them going again.

We have americaunas. They've never done as well in the winter as our barred
rocks or red crosses.

It's possible the hens are laying outside since they're free range. Locking
them in for a week or two should get them back in the nest boxes.

Robin Follette
Thyme For Ewe Farm
Talmadge, Maine