market-farming - [Market-farming] looking for conference speakers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "C. DeBerry" <deberryfarm AT yahoo.com>
  • To: csa-L AT prairienet.org, market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Market-farming] looking for conference speakers
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 07:17:44 -0800 (PST)

We have a small sustainable agriculture conference in the spring (March 27, 2004 at Garrett College in McHenry, MD), and I'm on the committee looking for wonderful examples of the following successful enterprises/subjects.  If you know of anyone that may help us by making a presentation at the conference (and they are fairly close to the western Maryland, southwestern Pennsylvania, or northeastern West Virginia area) then please send me their contact information to deberryfarm AT yahoo.com

- Diversity: the key to an agritourism enterprise -- we're looking for a few agritourism sites that do more than "just a corn maze," they have multiple things that people can do to make the farm an all-day "experience."

- Cut Flower Production and Marketing -- we have lots of folks interested, but they have no clue as to what to grow, how to pack it, and who to sell it to!

- Fiber production and marketing -- same story as the cut flowers.

- herbs, homeopathic medicine, etc. -- had a request for this one last year, I assume we need to learn about growing/marketing herbs as well as what ones are used generally for medicinal purposes.

- Closing the urban/rural divide, tapping into ethnic markets in the D.C./Metro area -- hoping to figure out what ethnic markets need, and how to get the products to them!

- Shared Use Community Kitchens, success stories -- hoping to someday have a community kitchen, trying to figure out how to run it, where to get the money to fund it, how it can be sustainable, and how to incorporate tourism into the mix.

- small scale dairy processing -- would like to get a good example of someone doing this, how it works and where to sell the product.

Anyone interested in attending, please email me directly and I'll send more info when it is available.  The cost is nominal (basically covers lunch - local foods, of course!) and we have a youth program too.

Thank you very much!
Cheryl DeBerry
DeBerry Farm
www.DeBerryFarm.com

Do you Yahoo!?
Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now

  • [Market-farming] looking for conference speakers, C. DeBerry, 12/04/2003