market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: Living Mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: IdleThymeFarm AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: Living Mulch
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 10:29:29 EST

Okay well this is not really a living mulch, but I have had great luck with the allelopathic properties of spent brewers grains.  Using these grains does not violate any rules of the National Organic program according to my certifier (OCIA) and they have amazing weed suppression properties. Be careful though because NO seeds will germinate if brewers grains have been applied to a field too close to seeding. The best time to use the brewers grains is months before planting or after the seedlings are well established. I currently pick up about 750 pounds per week from my local microbrewery. This is the only off-farm input (*except for straw/hay) that I use and it has the added benefit of increasing organic matter in the soil and having a high nitrogen content.

Shelly Elliott
Idle Thyme Farm

www.IdleThymeFarm.com

If you would have a lovely garden, you should live a lovely life! ~ Shaker saying