market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Living Mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: pam AT twinoaks.org
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Living Mulch
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 17:33:09 -0500

Rick H suggested:
> I have thought a late planting of a winter annual that would go
> dormant from the heat before setting seed might be a better companion
> for the melons than would the clover.
I have sown winter rye out of season, and it
does indeed go dormant before setting seed.
But I did this where some spring planted
potatoes drowned, and I did not plant any crop
into it. My questions are: what about the
allelopathy of winter rye? Has anyone tried
this? With transplanted crops or direct sown in
bands? Before or after sowing the rye? What
happened?
Pam Dawling, zone 6b, central Virginia