market-farming - [Market-farming] CSA issues

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "adriana" <gutierrez-lagatta AT charter.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] CSA issues
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:57:02 -0600

You are SO right Lucy, not only does it leads to guilt...it leads to
expensive composting. Too many new things and too few staples is why I
dropped my CSA share. It takes me 2-3 different recipes to find one that I
really like. While my husband and I might bew willing to eat the "trail
runs" it's not so easy with kids. And it gets old doing it week after
week.
>I also have noticed too many strange things leads to food guilt. Even
with recipes many members still are unable to use many new things. I try
to keep new introductions to one a week that way members don't have too
many new things to learn to deal with.

People like the concept, but the inconvenience of dropping everything to go
to your pick-up spot is also a problem. Asking people to change how they
shop and how they cook is too much for most busy households. I think a
farm-store setting with flexible hours is much more palatable. One
exception is setting a CSA pick-up spot outside of large employment centers
like hospitals, etc...then the pick-up inconvenience factor is almost
eliminated.
>Lots (most?) of people join a CSA because it
is the PC thing to do, not because they are really looking for an
alternative way to procure food (the people who join for this reason are
members who "get it").

Adriana

  • [Market-farming] CSA issues, adriana, 11/11/2003