market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Weird Veggies vs. Whole Grains

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Paul A. Bock" <bockpa AT plesh.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Weird Veggies vs. Whole Grains
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 08:44:35 -0500

Hello,
I can see what you mean about putting weird things like whole grains in
with a CSA share. I suppose my question about whole grains was meant as a
kind of net to see who's out there. I am reading Gene Logdson's book about
raising all kinds of grains from wheat to corn, to rye, o rice, etc. Also I
am reading Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book, which is great for whole grain
breads. I was hoping I would find a couple people that might have been
following a similar line and have some experience with making great whole
grain bread by having a small plot of some grain available
"right-outside-the-door" for the freshest flour available. Also I was
hoping that maybe I would find a couple people that grow their own grains to
feed as a supplement the normal feed ration to their cows, horses, oxen,
and/or chickens to curb a high feed bill. I believe these people are out
there, maybe they just don't subscribe to this list. It might be a
long-shot, but fresh whole-grain bread made with from-the-farm grains might
be a good CSA item. But I also understand that good bread making could be a
whole extra occupation/endeavor all unto its own. If there is anyone
interested in any of this, I would like to toss out another title that got
me started on all this stuff. "Bread Builders" by Alan Scott, and I think
Dan Wing. Basically how to make and bake bread in a masonry oven. They
even tell you how to build one, oven that is.

-Paul Bock
Stone Gully