market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] question about zoning

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] question about zoning
  • Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 13:24:39 -0500

Its called Down Zoning or in NJ we call it Snob Zoning. Farmers in my state
have
been fighting against this type of zoning, the NJ farm bureau has a full time
committee who goes to planning boards in defense of property owners.
In most cases its a change to large lots 10 acres or more, this encourages
sprawl and breaks up some of the best farmland in my state, the average
property
owner loses a minimum of 50% of their property value when this happens. We are
being asked to provide open space, greener countryside's fresh air water and
habitat for wildlife at the land owners expense, at no cost to the rest of the
population.
I would encourage you to go to your county's ag. development board and voice
your concern.
Farmers use property value as a borrowing tool, when we loose this value we
are
unable to expand and modernize our business.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.