market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Allison's Tall Tunnel Workshop

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Allison's Tall Tunnel Workshop
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 12:49:25 -0600

Nothing that precludes discussing high tunnel growing here - we often have.
But this would focus on them for those that find a listserv a little
overwhelming - and keep from boring folks who really don't care much about
all the details of growing in them.

We do have an opinion on perimeter insulation - but it only holds for us, in
our hardiness zone. This is a large country, and Pennsylvania is a lot
different from southern Kentucky. We grow a wide variety of vegetables all
winter with no problems, and don't think that for us, it would be cost
effective. We feel the same way about heat - our biggest limiting factor is
light - especially from mid-December until mid-February. But, again, that's
for us in southern Kentucky. We keep it low tech and low cost, grow what
grows within those parameters, and maximize our profit margins.

Alison