market-farming - [Market-farming] beans

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Windsoap AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] beans
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 21:29:17 EDT

In a message dated 10/17/2003 9:31:13 PM Central Daylight Time, mf AT austinfarm.org writes:

pinto snap beans.

Willie, we have been picking that patch of pinto beans for over ten days with NO rain and are selling them mostly by the bushel and 1/2 B.  We are in the second picking now.  Yes, they will get a string when full size, but you're going to top and tail them anyway, so...   with a seed cost of about 3 bucks, worth a try.  We also plant the "improved pinto" or dwarf horticulltural for shelling beans.  These are not very good snap beans, but what we grow using "casserole" brand pinto beans from the grocery are really good.  They are big beans and very easy to pick.  It takes me maybe 15 min to pick a 3 gal bucket and I move maybe 10 feet down a double row (on that infamous red tractor pickin' seat.)  Our older and ethnic customers demand these pinto beans and this year we have done very well with them.

We also plant "JADE", ROMANETTE, NICKEL AND MON PETIT CHERI beans in the spring, and planted the JADE this fall as well.  I was pleasantly surprised to see the demand for the Italian type beans last spring.  The French type are a pain to pick and take twice as long to process, but people are starting to ask for them as well.

What tomato varieties do well for you?  I have a French plum tomato that we have grown almost exclusively (it's the best) but want to branch out to some heirloom slicers.

Wendy (also ashamed that the DC are from TX)
Akin Farm
Terrell, TX