market-farming - [Market-farming] Chinese lettuce, mesclun

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "adriana" <gutierrez-lagatta AT charter.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Chinese lettuce, mesclun
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 07:06:31 -0500

> kale, brussle sprouts, spring mix, chinese lettuce, pac choi all do well
> in cold weather and will last all winter with protection (hoophouse or
> even heavy row cover if mild enough)

Lucy, which chinese lettuce do you grow? What are the advantages of it vs.
more conventional ones?

Speaking of lettuce, I have started to grow Tokyo Bekana cabbage to the baby
stage for use in mesclun mix (personal use only) and like the color and
flavor. Those of you who grow mesclun commercially may consider replacing
all of the lettuce in your mix with Tokyo Bekana. Why?
1. It looks like lettuce in the mix and tastes good (not too cabbagey) and
better texture than baby lettuce.
2. It's rate of grow and number of subsequent cuts is more in line with
other mesclun greens such as tatsoi, mustard, mizuna, etc. When I grew
mesclun commercially I found that the lettuces required special logistics -
they had to be planted 1-2 weeks before all of the other greens, and only
gave 2 cuts instead of 3-4.
3. The yield per sq ft is better than lettuce, even more so when you take
into account a shorter time to harvest and more cuts before tear-out and
reseeding.
4. It is more nutritious than lettuce.
5. Customers don't even notice there's no lettuce in the mix.

Adriana