market-farming - [Market-farming] Indian Summer

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Courtney McLeod" <cmcleod AT imscompany.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Indian Summer
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:23:23 -0400

I'm still waiting for the Indian Summer that folks around here keep talking
about.

Tom, I am not quite sure where you are located, but I would not hold out too
long for that Indian summer!!! I live in Northeast Ohio and we had a little
Indian summer last week. It lasted about 5 days and we are now back to
high's in the low 50's and low's in the upper 30's. I was hoping for a
longer and warmer one than we had so that the million tomatoes that I had on
the vine would ripen!! No such luck! No lie, out of 72 tomato plants this
year, I only picked about a bushel or 2 of ripe tomatoes. My peppers did
"ok". The only thing that did well was the corn, beets and onions!!! I
plant about 17 different vegetables and each veggie has several different
varieties. Especially the peppers, tomatoes, squash etc...My garden is an
acre and you would think that I would have done better this year, but we
just had too much rain and not enough sun. Apparently, our weather man says
that we only had 159 growing days this year! Not good! I didn't even have
anything to take to the market to sell this year! I was real bummed about
that. It would have been my first year to do that and I was so looking
forward to it. Especially after the talk on this website!!! But I can only
look forward to selling at next year's market and hope that we will actually
have a summer. A girl can dream!! I am ordering plugs for the first time
this fall for a February shipment. My greenhouse will have heat by December
and I am looking forward to trying this new avenue. A lot of others on this
list were very helpful in finding places to buy the plugs and thank you to
all of you who helped me out! I am very scared as I work full time now, but
not for long because I can not handle full time, get my little business
going and work an acre plus (next year) garden by myself. My other half is
self employed so he doesn't always have a lot of time to devote to this! He
is the bread winner of the family, so that is fine with me! I will have to
find a part time job as I know it will take a few years to really make some
kind of money at this! It is a good thing that I don't make much working
full time so it will not be a total change of life style! I am use to
living on the lower end of things anyway!! If anyone has any suggestions
for me as I get started with this new project, I am all ears!! I need any
kind of advice anyone is willing to share with me!

Courtney
Herb Thyme

  • [Market-farming] Indian Summer, Courtney McLeod, 10/17/2003