market-farming - [Market-farming] "Certified Naturally Grown"

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jackie Fisher" <splltrss AT scrtc.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] "Certified Naturally Grown"
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 11:38:02 -0500

>>Betsy asked: "Can you tell us more about "Certified Naturally Grown"?
Sounds like a good alternative to Organic Certification."

Sure can! In fact, I have copied this from the home page of their website,
and will provide the web link below.

****"Certified Naturally GrownT, a non-profit alternative eco-labelling
program for small farms that grow using USDA Organic methods but are NOT a
part of the USDA Certified Organic program.

The Certified Naturally GrownT label is available to farms primarily
distributing Locally or Directly, through Farmer's Markets, Farm Stands,
Community Supported Agriculture projects, local restaurants, coops, small
grocery stores or through other sales channels such as the internet. The
typical member is a family farm with acreage ranging from just a few to many
hundreds.

While Certified Naturally GrownT farmers are required to adhere to the same
strict Organic Agricultural Practices and materials list publicly available
on the USDA National Organic Program website (or as quoted for vegetable
growers here on our site), as an independent program NOT accredited or in
any way affiliated with the USDA National Organic Program, Certified
Naturally GrownT farmers are exempt from the fees and paperwork requirements
associated with USDA Certified Organic.

The USDA program requires an enormous amount of record keeping - a paper
trail of everything that happens from seed to sale. This is appropriate for
large farms that grow only a few types of vegetables and sell in bulk to
chain stores or big processing plants. But it has proven excessive and
largely irrelevant for diversified small farms that may grow upwards of 200
varieties of vegetables, herbs, flowers and fruits and then sell them
directly to consumers right in their own neighborhood.

Every Certified Naturally GrownT farm is physically inspected at least once
per year. Unlike the USDA program, scans of each farm's paperwork and
inspector reports are available ON-LINE for any member of the public to
review. This maintains total visibility in the certification process.

Beginning in 2003, Certified Naturally GrownT will be the ONLY certification
program that does laboratory pesticide residue testing on a randomly chosen
10% of member farms to maintain the integrity of the program and certified
produce. "*****

For more info and to sign up go to: (I hope this works, if not copy and
paste this addy)

http://www.naturallygrown.org/

For me here this made it possible to be known as organic without getting
into trouble with USDA. I spend almost all my time out in the garden each
day, I sure couldn't add the hours and hours of paperwork that USDA
requires, yet I do everything totally organic here, so this is perfect!
There is a logo you can use, and it was written about in the newest Mother
Earth News that just arrived, so more and more folks will become of aware of
it. Check it out, folks!

Jackie Fisher
A Different Drummer Farm
South Central Kentucky
270-432-0970

"Be good to the land and it will be good to you"

> Can you tell us more about "Certified Naturally Grown"? Sounds like a good
alternative to Organic Certification.

> Betsy Zone 5
> Southern Idaho

  • [Market-farming] "Certified Naturally Grown", Jackie Fisher, 10/10/2003