market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] organic onion plants

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Windsoap AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] organic onion plants
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:29:59 EDT

In a message dated 9/23/2003 6:52:18 PM Central Daylight Time, kampy AT grm.net writes:
organic
onion plants

We started growing our own onion plants, even tho we live about an hour from a major onion plant growing area.  We have been very successful with it.
1)  we know they're organic
2)  since they're not subjected to freeze and thaw, they never try to divide or go to seed.  (onions are biennial)
3)  we grow the absolute best varieties for us.

Johnnie's and Cook's both have excellent selection, Willhite's has a good selection for the South.  I get Red Creole onion seeds from Vilmorin in Paris and those are the best red for the south.  If anybody knows where to get them here, please share.

We grow the plants in a poly tunnel with underground hot water pipes, plant them Oct 15 (as in 1015 onions).
Wendy Akin
Akin Farm
Texas