market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Mulch on a big scale

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Nicole <nbrown AT bbtel.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Mulch on a big scale
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 13:17:41 -0400

Willie McKemie wrote: >>Mulches are not very effective on many of our problem weeds: bermuda grass, johnson grass, morning glory.<<

I have found that to be true here as well. Is there anything that IS effective against those weeds? Thus far, I have only had a home garden to contend with, and have hand-pulled when they got out of control - but still they get out of control!

In one section of my garden (the one that keeps getting abandoned), I laid carpet for a year, and the next year covered thickly with old hay - I did notice a considerable reduction in weeds all the way through about July of this year... that section is in tomatoes this year... and the weeds have gotten out of control again.

I think I have figured out that leaving the paths in grass and trying to keep them mowed is *not* working, especially for the bermuda grass which creeps into the beds. Hopefully a program of never letting the weeds go to seed will eventually afford me a reduction of the crabgrass and morning glory.

I garden organically, BTW, and have a half-acre in the works for a market garden in 2005.

Nicole in KY