market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Mulch on a big scale

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Paul Bucciaglia <pbucciaglia AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Mulch on a big scale
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 10:05:25 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Andrea,

I mulched my tomatoes and melons this year with leaves that I collect in the fall from local landscape contractors.  My manure spreader has 6 foot wheel centers so I made my rows 6' wide.  I laid down black plastic and then spread leaves with the spreader.  Took about 2 spreader loads per 330 foot bed.  Then swept leaves off with my arms, or sometimes a broom if they were dry.  I did see some weeds poking through the tomatoes so I round baled some rye and 'unrolled' the bales.  This was easy and worked great, but I have heard only some makes of round balers make bales that work this way (my neighbor baled it, he has a Vermeer round baler).  Melons were fine with the leaves.  Very good weed control in both crops, although some rogueing will definately be required.

I also mulch my garlic the same way.  Plant, then spread leaves with the manure spreader.  Only problem here is that when the leaves are dry they tend to blow away.  I have a few extra round bales and may lay some straw over the beds as well.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Paul Bucciaglia
Fort Hill Farm