market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Garlic baskets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Garlic baskets
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 06:28:05 -0400

I wish I lived in the land of hot selling garlic as we grew about 500 pounds of the stuff (3 kinds of hard necks) and it is not moving well at all this year despite hot sales the past 4 or 5 years at our markets (which is why we upped the amount planted this season).

We do display the the 3 types in 3 different baskets with good signage telling what each garlic is and it's attributes. I have found which ever basket is closest to the edge of the table is what sells the best despite descriptive signs. Because our garlic is not moving fast we have decided to bag it up in mesh bags drop the price from what we charge for a single corm and sell it by the pound. This has not been the overwhelming success I had hoped but some pound bags have moved since we started doing this last week.

We got the mesh bags from Monte Packaging http://www.montepkg.com

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH
Check out the Boulder Belt website:
"There is no way to peace---peace is the way."
A.J. Muste