market-farming - [Market-farming] Near perfect market/delivery vehicle

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Near perfect market/delivery vehicle
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 19:10:51 -0500

Sometime ago, we had a discussion of vehicles, who was using what, and
so forth. I have been using 1981-1986 diesel Isuzu pickups with
camper tops. A few years ago, as the Isuzus became more worn and more
under-powered, I bought a 5.9L Dodge diesel pickup. I have never liked
it; too big, too heavy, too rough riding, too hard to get into and out
of. Early this year, I bought a Ford F150 long bed. I have many of
the same complaints, though it rides better than the Dodge. THEN, I
became aware of the delivery vans that UPS and FedEx were using: a
Mercedes/Freightliner with 2.7L diesel. I bought one; traded in my new
Ford. I'm in love. I'm getting 23-25mpg. Almost my only complaint:
it's too tall. My Isuzus will hold about 50 banana boxes, my Dodge will
hold about 90 if you stack them on the tailgate; the Sprinter should
hold about 140, all inside.

Google on "mercedes sprinter freightliner dodge" to educate yourself.

--
Willie, ashamed that dixie chicks are from Austin
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html

  • [Market-farming] Near perfect market/delivery vehicle, Willie McKemie, 09/09/2003