market-farming - [Market-farming] Tillers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan McHugh <organicjoan AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Tillers
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 13:43:34 -0700 (PDT)

I just saw the posts on tillers.  I have 3 or so acres in field and have been paying someone to disc every year (weed abatement laws).  I was considering buying a used tractor, but originally considered a 'walking tractor' since my acreage is not that much.  How difficult would it be for me to use a tiller on this amount of land, and does it need to be disced first?  The land is a swamp during the winter (rainy season) so the weeds grow pretty high before it dries out enough to till/disc.  I'm currently trying to crowd out the weed with green manure crops but would still have the problem of turning the crop under.

joan