market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] shipping beef--licenses or permits required?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Hopkins" <rdhopkins AT americanpasturage.com>
  • To: "Alderspring" <alderspring AT salmoninternet.com>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] shipping beef--licenses or permits required?
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 14:36:56 -0500

Caryl,

There are a few restrictions to worry about depending on the shipper. Some
such as U.S. Mail will not take dry ice. We use FedEx exclusively, most of
the time we ship 2nd day or for short distances we use FedEx ground. You
can view our shipping page for the required packing.
http://www.americanpasturage.com/ship.htm The larger companies such as
Omaha steaks do not follow the rules regarding outer corrugated packaging
and limits on declarations on dry ice.

The best early steps are to visit your shipper in person and talk with a
manager to make sure they understand the rules so they don't prevent you
shipping a valid package.

There are no licenses or permits, but the meat must be USDA inspected to
cross state lines. There is some work being done to allow shipping of state
inspected meat for the states such as Missouri that have a state inspection
program.

Regards,

Rick