market-farming - [Market-farming] Saline Irrigation Water

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Trailside Farm" <dafu AT socket.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Saline Irrigation Water
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:28:37 -0500

A water well we drilled this summer produces water that is borderline saline.  Total dissolved solids = 698ppm, electrical conductivity = 1.09mmhos/cm and sodium absorption ratio = 3.92.  Is anyone irrigating vegetables with water of similar quality and, if so, with what results?  What mitigation measures do you recommend (I have read that raised beds and drip irrigation help--we already use both).  Also, we plan to build a hoophouse this fall. Inside, beds won't receive any rainfall to help leach built-up salts.  Problem?

I have read about the science behind all this but would like to hear about some real-world experiences from other farmers.  Thanks.
Dan
Trailside Farm
Calhoun, Missouri

  • [Market-farming] Saline Irrigation Water, Trailside Farm, 08/27/2003