market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: Potato Help Please

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: Potato Help Please
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 13:20:24 -0500

Shelley,

The young of CO po beetles are completely different than the adult - they vary from teeny tiny orangey creatures to soft-bodied creatures that are as big as the beetle.  And they vary a bit in the amount of black that they have on their orangey selves.  And usually, the young of the CO po. beetle are at all varying sizes at the same time, so if the ones you found are all the same size, I would guess that they aren't the CO beetle - adding strength to your guess.  You can also look on the underside of the potato leaves - the eggs are bright yellow, and layed in masses of individuals.  I crush them with my thumb when I see them - it is laborious to go through and find them all, as they are good at hiding them, and the crushing sometimes bruises the leaves - but leaves nowhere near the amount of damage that would occur if they hatch out.

I would still go for hand picking - since we don't know what it is.

I looked on a few potato pest sites, and can't find anything like what you describe - so maybe it is a pest that is desperate, and can't find its usual fare, so it had to eat potatoes!  It sure does sound like the young of the CO beetle, though.  - Jill