market-farming - [Market-farming] Many thanks and bushel pricing!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Brian and Jensi Andrus" <bjandrus AT tnics.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Many thanks and bushel pricing!
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 11:25:31 -0500

Hi!

Before I introduce myself and ask questions I must say a HUGE thank you for all of your help.  I have learned so much from the list.  I would be pondering a question about gardening or marketing and a few days later my answer would be on the list! :)

This is my first year as a "market gardener".  My husband and I have 5 children and we were brainstorming ways to make extra money to help save for college.  Since I am a biology teacher and we live on 35 acres of land, I thought that producing a huge garden and marketing the produce would generate some $.  Farming has been in my family for generations. It has been such a wonderful experience.  It has been such a great learning experience for me and my kids.  Lots of hard work, great exercise, great family time, and awesome learning opportunity!!!

Questions:

1)  How much do you charge for a bushel of tomatoes and cucumbers?  (We live in Eastern South Dakota)?

2)  Do you sell the bushel of produce by volume or weight?  I researched that a bushel of tomatoes is about 53 lbs.

3)  What are your selling prices for smaller quantities of different varieties of tomatoes (cherry, grape, lemon boy, goliath, etc)?

Thanks a bunch!

Jensi Kellogg-Andrus
Generation Farm
Watertown, South Dakota

  • [Market-farming] Many thanks and bushel pricing!, Brian and Jensi Andrus, 08/24/2003