market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Aphids

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Aphids
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 11:19:24 EDT

In a message dated 8/21/03 9:22:26 AM Central Daylight Time, wshoemak AT inil.com writes:

    As for work on aphids and virus, I've been working with a reflective mulch product. It's a plastic film mulch with a mirror-like surface. It reflects light back up into the canopy. The plant responds favorable and aphids hate it. They like to hang out on the undersides of leaves to avoid light, which can desiccate them.

The clear plastic mulch doesn't have as much aphid pressure as does the black plastic mulch, it probably has more reflection than the black. Interesting.   The extremely dry weather could have something to do with our problem as well.  We have only had .7 since the 14th of June, needless to say our crops are going through extreme stress.  Most of the corn crop around here has been cut about 50% if not more, and in some area's there isn't any corn left.  Sandy ground  has been gone for a while, the old clay is still hanging in there.

Thanks again Bill.

Phil